The EuroGEO Disaster Resilience Action Group includes the following 7 Expressions of Intent:
1) Earth Observation for Disaster-Resilient Societies (EO4DisasteRS), led by IAASARS/NOA, under my coordination. The focus is on flash floοd mapping at large scale (city level) and creation of operational awareness pictures for crisis management in real time by assimilating in flash flood models multiple sources of data including mostly satellite data (Sentinel), in-situ sensors, and crowdsourced data. You can see our progress so far in the video that we presented in the GEO Week 2019 in Canberra.
2) Disaster Resilience Showcase under the EU H2020 e-shape project, led by IAASARS/NOA, under my coordination, including the following 4 pilots:
Pilot 6.1: EO4D_ASH - EO Data for Detection, Discrimination & Distribution (4D) of Volcanic ash led by CNR, strengthening the EO and in-situ data exploitation and multi-source (satellite, remotely sensed, crowd, and ground-based network) data integration to derive innovation for ash discrimination and monitoring
Pilot 6.2: GEOSS for Disasters in Urban Environment led by CIMA, using available in situ authoritative weather stations, existing citizen scientist weather stations, observations, low-cost sensors, to deploy an hydrometeorological forecasting system for high-impact weather events, such as flash-flood, wind storms, hail storms, lightning storms, peri urban fires.
Pilot 6.3: Assessing Geo-hazard vulnerability of Cities & Critical Infrastructures led by IGME, based on Sentinel 1A/B image processing and in situ data (GNSS station, geological and Geohazard layers as well as urban layers and pipeline network layers).
Pilot 6.4: ReSAgri - Resilient & Sustainable ecosystems including Agriculture & food led by NOA, providing services to insurance companies and farmers’ associations such as risk and damage assessment, adverse selection (underwriting), high-level monitoring, and early warning for perils in agriculture.
3) Satellite Earth Observation-derived water bodies and floodwater record over Europe, led by the Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology (LIST). This is one of the pilots of the Water Resources Management showcase of the EU H2020 e-shape project: Pilot 5.2.
4) Global Flood Awareness System (GloFAS), led by the European Centre for Medium-Range Weather Forecasts (ECMWF). You can visit the website.
5) NextGEOSS – Enhanced landslide risk assessment framework, led by the IAASARS/NOA based on InSar data assimilated in landslide models. This is one of the pilots of the EU H2020 NextGEOSS project. You can find more info on the website and watch our webinar.
6) Multi-scale Change Detection for Space and Security, led by the European Union Satellite Centre (SatCen) This is another pilot of the EU H2020 NextGEOSS project. You can find more info on the website.
7) Strengthen multilevel governance in natural hazards and disaster management, led by the Multi-hazards Functional Centre of the Regional Environmental Protection Agency of Calabria.
All the intents are available here:
Intent 10:Multi-hazards Functional Centre - Regional Environmental Protection Agency of Calabria
Intent 22:NextGEOSS - Enhanced landslide risk assessment framework
Intent 25:Disaster Resilience Showcase under H2020 call GREENING THE ECONOMY IN LINE WITH THE SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT GOALS (SDGS)
Intent 30:Multi-scale Change Detection for Space and Security
Intent 34:GLOBAL FLOOD AWARENESS SYSTEM (GloFAS)
Intent 36:Satellite Earth Observation-derived water bodies and floodwater record over Europe
Intent 44:Earth Observation for Disaster-Resilient Societies