Job Title: DevOps Engineer
Location: National Observatory of Athens, Greece
The Operational Unit BEYOND Center ( http://www.beyond-eocenter.eu/ ) for Earth Observation Research and Satellite Remote Sensing of the Institute of Astronomy and Astrophysics, Space Applications and Remote Sensing of the National Observatory of Athens is seeking to hire a highly skilled and motivated DevOps Engineer to join our team, contributing to cutting-edge applied research at the intersection of Earth Observation data and Artificial Intelligence (AI) solutions. Our team focuses on innovative approaches to address challenges related to sustainable agriculture, ecosystems, biodiversity, and climate change. As a DevOps Engineer, you will play a vital role in deploying and optimizing geospatial (e.g. satellite, meteoclimatic, IoT) data flows, web apps, and cloud infrastructure, facilitating the seamless integration of AI technologies to tackle critical environmental issues. Join us to make a meaningful impact on advancing scientific research and promoting sustainable practices through the integration of Earth Observation and AI domains.
- Dockerisation of pipelines for data acquisition, data curation, AI model training and inference.
- Deployment and Infrastructure Management: Take ownership of deploying geospatial (e.g. satellite, meteoclimatic, IoT) data flows, web applications, and supporting cloud infrastructure. You will use tools like Docker, Kubernetes, workflow managers, and monitoring tools (e.g. grafana, prometheus) to ensure efficient and scalable deployments.
- Design Pattern Implementation: Define, implement, and advocate for good design patterns that promote lightweight and developer-friendly systems, enabling seamless integration of new technologies and solutions.
- Collaboration with Data Scientists and Project Managers: Collaborate closely with our data scientists and remote sensing analysts to optimize their algorithms and applications for efficient computation and resource utilization. Collaborate with Project Managers of the unit towards advancing the quality and timeliness of project deliveries if/where possible.
- EU Project Proposal Support: Participate in proposal writing for EC, ESA and other funding Institutions’ projects, providing technical support and expertise and insights to justify the needs, SoA and the effectiveness of proposed solutions in advancement of SoA.
- Documentation: Produce clear and concise documentation of defined procedures and ensure that it remains up to date, facilitating knowledge sharing and seamless team collaboration inside the unit.
- Tech-Minded Teamwork: Be an integral part of our tech-minded team, engaging in knowledge sharing, brainstorming, and contributing to the collective growth and success of the organization.
- Preferably Master's or higher degree in Computer Science, Informatics, Computer Engineering or a related field.
- Strong knowledge of Linux/Unix Operating System Environment and bash scripting.
- Proficiency in code versioning and CI/CD tools such as Git, Jenkins, Maven, etc.
- Experience with container orchestration platforms like Docker and Kubernetes.
- Familiarity with relational and/or non-relational databases.
- Proficiency in programming languages like Python, etc.
- Good understanding of Agile and DevOps practices.
- Experience with container deployment pipelines.
- Ability to write technical documentation to facilitate knowledge transfer.
- Effective interpersonal, communication, and collaboration skills.
- Proactive problem-solving attitude.
- English language proficiency preferably at C2 level, both written and spoken.
- Familiarity with data flow automation software like Airflow, Prefect, Dagster, Dask, Luigi, Celery, etc.
- Experience with Cloud providers such as OpenStack, AWS, Azure, GCP, etc.
- Knowledge of Earth Observation satellite data product formats.
- Familiarity with the fundamentals of Machine Learning.
- Demonstrated critical thinking and self-organization skills.
Join us at the Operational Unit Center BEYOND of the National Observatory of Athens and contribute to cutting-edge projects at the forefront of Earth Observation and DevOps technologies. We offer a collaborative and stimulating work environment with opportunities for professional growth and involvement in prestigious European, national and commercial projects. Be part of a team that makes a meaningful impact on addressing critical environmental challenges through advanced technology and innovation. To learn more about our team's projects and research, visit our GitHub page: https://github.com/Agri-Hub.
We Offer: A high competitive remuneration package based on the qualifications of the candidate including all legal deductions and taxes.
Indicative start date: December 2023
Deadline for CVs: October 31, 2023
Operational Unit BEYOND Center of IAASARS/NOA is an equal opportunity employer