Job Title: Senior Expert on Energy Sector
Location: National Observatory of Athens, Greece
The Operational Unit BEYOND Center (http://www.beyond-eocenter.eu/) for Earth Observation Research and Satellite Remote Sensing of the Institute of Astronomy and Astrophysics, Space Applications and Remote Sensing of the National Observatory of Athens is seeking to hire a highly skilled and motivated Senior Expert on Energy Sector to join our team, contributing to implementation of the Destination Earth DESP Use Case “Destination Renewable Energy”. Our team focuses on innovative approaches to address challenges related to energy, sustainable agriculture, ecosystems, biodiversity, and climate change. As a Senior Expert on Energy Sector, you will play a vital role in the development and utilization of solar nowcasting and forecasting models and the creation of a robust forecasting system that integrates data from EUMETSAT, Copernicus (CAMS), and other climatological sources into a radiative transfer model application. Join us to make a meaningful impact on advancing scientific research and promoting sustainable practices through the integration of Earth Observation and Energy domains.
- Contribution to the design, implementation and periodic reporting of the ESA project “Destination Renewable energy”.
- Contribution to the development of new and maintenance for existing models for solar energy exploitation.
- Collaboration with our data scientists and remote sensing analysts to optimize their algorithms and applications for efficient computation and resource. utilization. Collaborate with Project Managers of the unit towards advancing the quality and timeliness of project deliveries if/where possible.
- Participation in transfer of knowledge activities of BEYOND.
- Contribute to proposal writing, project realization, and deliverable preparation.
- Prepare research papers and contribute to the dissemination of findings.
- Produce clear and concise documentation of defined procedures and ensure that it remains up to date, facilitating knowledge sharing and seamless team collaboration inside the unit.
- Be an integral part of our tech-minded team, engaging in knowledge sharing, brainstorming, and contributing to the collective growth and success of the organization.
- Preferably Master's or higher degree from the Faculty of Science (Physics, Mathematics), or the Faculty of Engineering.
- Knowledge and/or experience on:
- Atmospheric physics
- Solar energy & applications
- Remote Sensing (Earth and/or Atmosphere)
- Renewable Sources of Energy
- Big Data Management
- Propagation of Solar Radiation in the Atmosphere
- Good knowledge of at least one programming languages like Python, R or MATLAB.
- Ability to write technical documentation to facilitate knowledge transfer.
- Effective interpersonal, communication, and collaboration skills.
- Strong problem-solving skills, analytical mindset and ability to work
independently and collaboratively.
- English language proficiency preferably at C2 level, both written and spoken.
Join us at the Operational Unit Center BEYOND of the National Observatory of Athens and contribute to cutting-edge projects at the forefront of Earth Observation and Energy technologies. We offer a collaborative and stimulating work environment with opportunities for professional growth and involvement in prestigious European, national and commercial projects. Be part of a team that makes a meaningful impact on addressing critical environmental challenges through advanced technology and innovation.
We Offer: A high competitive remuneration package based on the qualifications of the candidate including all legal deductions and taxes.
Indicative start date: 1/12/2023
Deadline for CVs: 15/11/2023
Operational Unit BEYOND Center of IAASARS/NOA is an equal opportunity employer